Kitchener of Khartoum, or K of K as he was called, portrayed as the British Bulldog, shown guarding the Union Jack. I find this image odd; I generally don't consider allowing a dog to stand on your nation's flag to be a sign of respect. I can only imagine that K of K had the prestige to carry it off.

Horatio, Lord Kitchener 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum Soldier; a French Caricature
Buy This Allposters.com
In his campaigns in the Boer Wars, Kitchener earned an reputation for brutality. He removed civilian support for Boer fighters by rounding up women, children, and the elderly and putting them in the first concentration camps, where the death rate was 34%. In Europe, and even in Britain, public opinion of this was Not Good. The French text at the bottom reads:
Je puis dire qu'a la guerre de la transvaal est termine. Le pays est tranquille et j'y suis arrive en evitant toute effusion de sang. Les camps de reconcentration ou je reuni les femmes et les enfants font rapidement leurs ouvres de pacification.According to Google Translate:
I can say that in war the Transvaal is complete. The country is quiet and I achieved this while avoiding bloodshed. Concentration camps where I gathered the women and children are quick to pacify their works.I'm not sure about "quick to pacify their works"; perhaps "were quick to pacify them" or "quickly subdued them" would be more accurate. I can imagine the original French being a bit more bitter and biting. If you know French and have any thoughts, please share in the comment section:

No comments:
Post a Comment